- What is the purpose of this document?
- Data protection principles
- The kind of information FARA Charity Shops hold about you
- How is your personal information collected?
- How FARA Charity Shops will use information about you
- If you fail to provide personal information
- How FARA Charity Shops use particularly sensitive personal information
- Information about criminal convictions
- Automated decision-making
- Why might FARA Charity Shops share my personal information with third parties?
- Data Security
- How long will you retain my information for?
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
- Data protection officer
FARA Charity Shops is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. You are being sent a copy of this privacy notice because you are applying for a volunteer position with FARA Charity Shops. It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
FARA Charity Shops will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about
- Kept securely.
In connection with your application for a volunteer position with FARA Charity Shops, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- The information you have provided on our application form, including name, title, address, telephone number, date of birth, gender, hours of availability per week, health status, criminal convictions.
- Any information you provide to us during the initial interview.
- Any other information obtained during a volunteer test day if appropriate.
FARA Charity Shops collects personal information about volunteers from the following sources:
- You, the candidate.
- Any volunteering body or association to which you may belong;
- Your named referees and those who might recommend you for the role.
FARA Charity Shops will use the personal information collected about you to:
- Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability for the volunteer role.
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to accept your offer of volunteering.
FARA Charity Shops will use your particularly sensitive personal information in the following ways:
- We will use information about your disability status to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process, for example whether adjustments need to be made to any interview.
- We will use information about your race, national or ethnic origin, religious, philosophical, or moral beliefs, your sexual life or sexual orientation, to ensure meaningful equal opportunity monitoring and reporting.
FARA Charity Shops does not envisage processing information about criminal convictions.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
FARA Charity Shops does not envisage sharing your personal information with any third parties for the purposes of processing your application.
FARA Charity Shops has put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
FARA Charity Shops has put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
FARA Charity Shops will retain your personal information for a period of six months after we have communicated to you our decision to allow you to take up the volunteering position. After this period, we will securely destroy your personal information in accordance with our data retention policy.
If we wish to retain your personal information on file, on the basis that a further volunteering opportunity may arise in future and we may wish to consider you for that, we will write to you separately, seeking your explicit consent to retain your personal information for a fixed period on that basis.
Your rights in connection with personal information – access, correction, erasure and restriction
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that FARA Charity Shops is lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that FARA Charity Shops hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask FARA Charity Shops to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where FARA Charity Shops is relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask FARA Charity Shops to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that FARA Charity Shops transfers a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact FARA Charity Shops HR Manager in writing at
FARA Charity Shops Head Office,
Riverside Centre, 63 High Street,
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, please contact FARA Charity Shops HR Director Felicia Balasel, on 020 8973 0910 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org